Dancing on Tv and Living in the Moment

Hello Hapi People,

You may or may not know that the TV show So You Think You Can Dance premiered last night (June 1st). I have been a big fan of the show for a long time and wanted to share my love with you all.  If you follow me on Twitter (to which I am brand new), you may have see me for the first time Live Tweet the premiere. I felt a little strange doing it, as I was trying to update my thoughts and followings whilst watching and appreciating the show. It was a bit hectic. I thought it would be a cool idea to just share with you my love for the show. However, I believe in totally immersing yourself in something and being present is the best way to enjoy it. I am not dissing Twitter (do people say diss anymore?) but updating my thoughts and following other tweeting while watching the show was so distracting to me. Maybe I'm just behind on the times but I'm just giving my opinion. Only being 24 I don't think I'm completely detached from what's trending. Yet, if we are so concerned about being minute to minute on what everyone else is doing or documenting in the middle of a memory ... are you fully engaged mentally and enjoying the moment?



Psychology Today has a very interesting article by Jim Taylor, Ph.D. titled How Technology Is Changing the Way Children Think and Focus. Children's minds are still developing and in the fast paced world of technology they are able to access information quickly in rapid succession. The article compares learning through reading and the internet to scuba diving and jet skiing. 
"Book reading is like scuba diving in which the diver is submerged in a quiet, visually restricted, slow-paced setting with few distractions and, as a result, is required to focus narrowly and think deeply on the limited information that is available to them. In contrast, using the Internet is like jet skiing, in which the jet skier is skimming along the surface of the water at high speed, exposed to a broad vista, surrounded by many distractions, and only able to focus fleetingly on any one thing."
I am not saying I'm against computer or internet based learning. I just foubd the analogy fascinating and relevant to our modern lifestyle. If we live fully submerged in the waters of life, each moment is savored and enjoyed. If we are trying to take selfies and tweet every moment, well, we are just getting a taste of that moment because we are focused on other things. 

This is just some food for thought and my opinion. Let me know hour thoughts about social media and attentiveness. Do you think we are missing out on life's moments through documenting and constantly engaging social media? I'm interested to know your thoughts and opinions. 

Peace&Love,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you like this post!