Unexpected Poetry

Hello Hapi People! 

Whew! What a whirlwind of a week. I hope your week went well, mine was busy and a bit crazy. I can't believe we are nearing the end of May. I know school is almost about to end for my area. I have been on break from school for about a month now - but as busy as I've been it hasn't been a much of a "break" lol. 

Anywho, summer is definitely here in Florida where its hot, humid and beautiful. Summer is definitely my favorite time of year because of the warm weather, the beach, light breezy clothes, and making lots of happy memories. I know as a kid it was the best time of year and I have many fond memories of playing with friends, bbq's, and growing up a little each year. Now as an adult, at the beginning of the summer I have all these goals I want to accomplish. Of course, most of them are a bit idealistic, don't come to pass, or life just doesn't go according to plan. I know the last few weeks I have dealt with people, everyday happenings, and unexpected events that have thrown me for a loop. I sometimes have to tell myself that no matter what I plan or think will happen I have to be flexible. Since I am given to anxiety and any sort of confrontation scares me ... well thats easier said than done lol.


Despite some not-so-pleasant unexpected events, I did have an unplanned experience that I ended up really enjoying. As you all know, my little sister graduated from high school this past weekend. There have been different celebrations and one was at my church. We had a potluck dinner for our high school graduates, there is a slideshow, and family members and friends can get in front of a mic to share about one of the kids. I was asked about a week prior if I could sing or something for the dinner. Obviously I opted out of singing but, I volunteered to read a poem. I write poetry and did a family series back in 2012. I never really thought I would share the I wrote about Ali but, I thought it was a good opportunity to share it. I thought I would share the poem with you all today and wish you a hapi weekend. I will put the poem below and if you like it you can Click Here for a link to the website where I post the rest of my poetry. 

Thanks guys and have a Hapi Weekend!


Peace&Love,
Amy




there are many things we have talked about
and many we haven't
like how the first time you were put in my arms
i didn't have the guts to verbalize my thoughts,
"Wow, she is so . . . wrinkly."
but the wrinkles were formed because
for nine months you were pressing with all your might
to burst out and say, "HELLO!"
"I just wanted you to know, I am here to alter everything . . .

you turned into a cute and totally defiant child
we didn't see eye to eye at all
and i thought you might be the devil
every time i opened your diaper
and i was almost certain that you were
that night you refused to do what you were told
and were spanked 20 times until dad gave up
but you were just trying to hide your identity

See, you convinced me you were angelic
every time you looked at me with eyes of question
making me question what i was doing,
appropriate for a small child?
or appropriate to be doing at all?
you see, only angels guard you like that

but you don't want anyone else to know
about your wings so you
wear this mask that i got to name
and you keep your nose in books and videos games
but you still
have
this
light,
so maybe you aren't trying to hide it at all
and maybe sometimes, angels do wear black
and sneakers and geeky t-shirts
and say, "if you don't like harry potter, we can't be friends"

others may think its weird,
but i think the fact
that we can't stop conversations for going to the bathroom
is a sign of our closeness
and i love the fact that even though you have wings,
the second i say Smoothie King
you are in my car before i grab my keys

you have guts of steel
and the will of a rich oil tycoon
So don't stop diggin deep for the bubbly crude of life
and i wish i could tell you all these things
but i'm afraid if i reveal your identity,
you'll fly away

-----
for my sister
Hey this is part 3 of the family series.

If you want the whole set check out:
"You Warm Me" - part 1 for my brother
"The Man Who Taught Me Everything" - part 2 for my dad
"thing i wish i could say to the devil" - part 3 for my sister
"i like reading dictionaries" - part 4 for my mom

Thanks so much for reading friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you like this post!