Weekend DIY - Hanging Wall Decor for Beginners

Hello Hapi People!

It's Friday and its time for a weekend project idea! Do you have a picture, art, shelves or something that you have been wanting to hang on the wall but don't know how hang it? Well, I am going to show you a secure way to hang a heavy item on your wall. I know a lot of wall decor and shelves can come with kits and hardware to use, but I know I have lost pieces and have items that have no instructions. I also know that even with instructions, it can be hard to do home improvement without experience. I am going to show you step-by-step on how to securely hang an item on your wall. 

There is no need to fear tools either - If I can do it, you can do it! So, without further ado, Let's Get Started!


My boyfriend gave me this mason jar organizer in March for my birthday 
and I am finally hanging it up!


Step 1: Get Materials

Let's gather the material and tools we need. 

  • Get your item you want to hang - I am hanging this mason jar organizer in my bedroom. 
  • a level with straight edges
  • hammer 
  • power screwdriver, or manual
  • a pencil
  • drywall anchors
  • screws
  • optional: nail to start holes



Every project is going to be different based on the size of the item you are hanging. My organizer is fairly heavy so I am using anchors to hold my screws in place. In the picture on the left, you can see that there is hole with fat and skinny ends, this is where my screw with go in and slide up into the skinny part for security. There are two holes on either side so I am using two screws and anchors. 






Step 2: Leveling and Marking



  • Securely hold your item to be hung against the wall and set level on top.
  • Adjust until bubble in liquid is centered between the lines marked on the tube - this will guarantee a even hanging.
  • Whilst holding the leveled item securely against the wall, mark with a pencil a line at the height where you wish you place your screws. 
    • Take into account where the hardware is on the back of your item - the edge of your item will be above the line you drew.  




     
    • Now that you have your even line, flip your item over and mark where the screws will need to be. 
    • Hold item flush against the wall and mark with pencil.
    • You can use your level to connect a line from your vertical mark to horizontal to pin point your screw placement.
    • Make sure you markings are the correct distance apart so your screws will line up with the hardware.






    Step 3: Hammers, Drills and Screws ... OH MY!

    This next step is optional, but I find it it makes drilling easier. 
    • Using a hammer and nail that is about the same thickness as the screws, hammer just slightly into wall to start a hole. 
    • Remove nail - This allows for a straighter drilling - just poke the end of your screw into the hole and drill.

    • Now take your drill and screwdriver to create your hole.
    • I used screws that where about the same length as my anchors so I would get a more accurate depth for my hole.
    • Drill screw into wall just before the head of the screw goes into the wall.
      • Remove your screw by setting your drill to its reverse setting. Mine is a button that pops out on either side of the drill. The arrow indicates the direction of drilling. 
      • Hammer the anchor into the hole you just made - the pre-made hole will make this step much easier.
      • Now, very carefully and slowly, drill the screw into the anchor. 
      • Leave a portion of the screw out so that the hardware has something to hang on. This step is important to gauge based on your own project and how much length of screw your item needs.
      Here are my finished hangers!


      Step 4: Hang It Up!


      • The last step is to hang your item on the screws. I think it turned out well and I know with the anchors that my organizer is secure on the wall. 

      My organizer came with chalk and labels, 
      so a I marked mine and filled it with makeup brushes.



      I hope you all enjoyed this project and explanation. Let me know in the comments if you liked it or it was helpful. Please like share and comment to me on social media in the side bar. Thank you all so much and have a hapi weekend.

      Peace&Love,
      Amy




      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Please leave a comment if you like this post!