Weak Strengths

Hello Hapi People!

I am going to hit the ground running this week with a lot of thoughts that will seem disjointed but just stick with me. I think in order not to upset anyone and to please everyone, people play things safe. I know that I am a people pleaser but I think I'm terrible at it. I want so badly to please people that I think I give up before I start sometimes. I'm so afraid of not pleasing that if I'm not around people - not contributing in their lives daily - that after awhile they won't want to talk to me. I'm never the one to speak first and it's something I regret. However, I can't change what has come to pass. My dad told me the other day - preempting the statement with "this is cliche" - that when one door closes another opens. I've stated that I don't know if this blog is a door to anything. I just want this to be a place to come and relate to people - I want to build a relationship here with readers. I think in order to build a good relationship I think you have to be fearless and trust yourself.



I am trusting myself right now and sharing something that I found interesting and compelling with you. I am quite the insomniac and when I can't sleep I work or watch something relaxing. I also watch things that take me away from everyday life. I occasionally enjoy watching TEDtalks and I came across one that was seemingly controversial. (If you don't know what TEDtalks are you can click here for more info.) When I saw this particular TEDtalk I just thought "what in the world"?! Needless to say it caught me by surprise and I only planned to watch a minute or two because it was not what I expected. You are probably wondering what this elusive TEDtalk is - it is one of the first public appearances in many years of Monica Lewinsky. Yes, I know what you are thinking but stay with me. I am not sure how much I should explain the presentation she gives but Lewinsky uses her personal experience to talk about the awareness of public shaming in the modern world. I encourage everyone to watch this video! She is not the best speaker but I imagine that it was a difficult and nerve-racking experience. I understand some people may not like the idea of me mentioning someone so controversial, and I do not condone anything that she has done in the past. However, I think what she is trying to do for the future is admirable. Sometimes I think our weaknesses can be our greatest strengths if we choose to make something positive out of it. I believe this TEDtalk is a prime example of that - you can agree or disagree. Anyways I will let you watch the video yourself and I encourage you to share your reaction.

Peace&Love,
Amy


Monica Lewinsky TEDtalk: The price of shame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you like this post!